Talking with Gillian was good. I've known her my entire life, and while I think that came in handy I am thankful for this project's transformative abilities with regards to, well, me.
I outlined my project for her and told what I needed and what troubles I have been having. Mostly, how hard it was for me to get face time with youths.
Here's what she suggested;
If you are researching the reservation in order to really properly gather data you need to go through the Tribe. Which can take time and lots and lots of money. While I am going to pursue this option, it may only become really possinle after January. But here's what Gillian suggested. I will go to Kayenta and give presentations to individual classes, in a class period or so, wherein I outline my experiences post-high school/college life off the Reservation. When I am done with my story I'll open the floor up for the student's questions and a general discussion.
I am thrilled about this idea, mostly because it isn't bogged down in paperwork. I can give 6 or 7 of these presentations in a single day and their are multiple teaches who would like to have me speak with their students. I will probably give multiple sessions like this between now and the end of the semester.Furthermore, I can use the idea of "middle ground" (Gillian called it "in-betweeness) to steer the discussion, since that is what I am presenting on. This is a project of imagination, and I consider myself a fairly observant gal, and I am sure I can gleam plenty from these sessions. Also, basketball games, I need to go to basketball games.
I just finished reading Towlhead by Alicia Erian. I am still digesting the novel, and cannot quite figure out what I shold say about it. Erian has done a very good job of disguising herself in this book...What I do like about this is the way the main character, and speaker, Jasira, functions. There is, of course, her story. The disfuntion is palatble. But there is also the social and cultural backdrop, which helos define the books characters with out completely dictating their circumstances. I appreciate this and would aim for the same air in this project's stories.
I have done alot less work than I would have liked this weekend, on account on my being sick I have been peering at the increasingly shiver-y looking a world from inside my apartment most of the weekend. I am wanting to write a play about a shut-in. Really.
I am however, going to post my first 1,000 word segment tonight. If you do critque this, and I hope you do, keep in mind how rough this all is. I am just trying to show some of the themes and imagery I am working with here. I plan to post another 1,000 words by monday afternoon. As for the other grand, they will be going to my very neglected lumberjack columns.
The essay segment will be posted in the next hour or so.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment